Speech and Debate tournaments are where AHS/SILSA Speech and Debate students shows their prowess. We travel to various schools around the state and perform speeches and debate current events. We even attend a tournament at Harvard University. We encourage (very strongly) parents to become judges and attend tournaments with our team. Take a look at the schedule below and sign up for a tournament today!
There is a fee for students to attend a tournament. Each student gets a Golden Ticket (one pre-paid tournament fee). All other tournaments must be paid for. If you judge a tournament, the tournament fee is waived.
You can pay for your student’s tournament online or by sending in cash or check to the school. Checks can be made out to AHS/SILSA Speech and Debate.
AHS/SILSA Transportation Policy
- Students are to ride the activity bus unless they are being taken in a separate vehicle driven by their own parent. If this happens, the coaches need to have this in writing from the parent at least three days before the trip. A parent may not under any circumstances transport a student other than their own.
- Parents are welcome to drive their own vehicle or take the bus (space permitting) if they are going to a tournament. The coaches need to know if you will be taking the bus or not so we can plan spacing.
- Parents carpooling with other parents is also permitted as long as no student is in the vehicle except for the driver’s student. A student cannot be a passenger in another parent’s vehicle even if their parent is a passenger in that vehicle. For a student to be in the vehicle, their parent must be the DRIVER.
- Students may never drive themselves to tournaments.
- If multiple buses or vehicles are used, the coaches must have a record of who is in what vehicle at all times. The coaches will assign the bus and the student must stick to the assigned bus.