Speech and Debate tournaments are where AHS/SILSA Speech and Debate students shows their prowess. COVID-19 has temporarily moved all tournaments to a virtual format. The online platform and tournament rooms from National Speech and Debate Association will be used to host the competition.
Tournament Sign Up
The online format requires early sign up. The online tournaments allow students to tournament shop so tournaments are filling up fast. Make sure you sign up as soon as possible to secure your spot!
There is a fee for students to attend a tournament. The Asheville High Speech and Debate Booster Club and Asheville High fund scholarships for any students needing assistance with tournament fees. We want all students to participate. All scholarships are confidential and do not require qualification. Just fill out a scholarship request form and send to Mr. Smith. In addition, each student gets a Golden Ticket (one pre-paid tournament fee). PLEASE NOTE: If you judge a tournament, the tournament fee is waived.
Sign up to Judge a Tournament
You can pay for your student’s tournament online.
AHS/SILSA Transportation Policy
(Applies once we resume traveling)
- Students are to ride the activity bus unless they are being taken in a separate vehicle driven by their own parent. If this happens, the coaches need to have this in writing from the parent at least three days before the trip. A parent may not under any circumstances transport a student other than their own.
- Parents are welcome to drive their own vehicle or take the bus (space permitting) if they are going to a tournament. The coaches need to know if you will be taking the bus or not so we can plan spacing.
- Parents carpooling with other parents is also permitted as long as no student is in the vehicle except for the driver’s student. A student cannot be a passenger in another parent’s vehicle even if their parent is a passenger in that vehicle. For a student to be in the vehicle, their parent must be the DRIVER.
- Students may never drive themselves to tournaments.
- If multiple buses or vehicles are used, the coaches must have a record of who is in what vehicle at all times. The coaches will assign the bus and the student must stick to the assigned bus.